The source for Subaru reviews, Subaru news, and much more.
Subaru Supports Fall Car Care Month
Subaru is endorsing the Car Care Council’s Fall Car Care Month, a nationwide October program that focuses on the importance of regular vehicle maintenance. To celebrate the occasion, Subaru dealers are offering Subaru owners free diagnostic inspections, including items that affect fuel economy the most.
In addition to a thorough checkup of all major operating systems, dealers will also perform an MPG (Maintenance Preserves Gas) Inspection that focus on systems that can directly impact fuel mileage. Drivers will receive a written report of the vehicle’s condition andhelpful driving tips for maximizing fuel efficiency.
“October is always a good time to prepare your vehicle for the demands of winter driving,” notes Gary Palanjian, vice president, service, Subaru of America, Inc. “And this year, the increased fuel efficiency that comes with a well-maintained vehicle is more important than ever.”
Subaru – maker of the 36 mpg 2012 Impreza, the most fuel-efficient all-wheel drive car in America — shares these tips for improving fuel economy for any brand vehicle:
- Check your tire pressure – properly inflated tires can improve mileage by 3%
- Change motor oil and oil filter regularly, to protect your engine
- Replace a dirty air filter and improve MPG by as much as 10%
- Check spark plugs – a misfiring plug can cut fuel efficiency by up to 30%
- Run engine diagnostics – fixing a faulty oxygen sensor alone can improve MPG by up to 40%
- Drive sensibly; avoiding jackrabbit starts and stops can increase fuel economy by as much as 5%
- Observe speed limits – fuel economy drops 2% for every mile per hour that you drive over 55
- Remove excess weight, and improve fuel economy by 2% for every extra 100 pounds you remove
- Avoid excess idling, since idling longer than 60 seconds uses more gas than stopping and restarting
- Use cruise control to maintain a steady speed, which can increase fuel economy by up to 10%
Subaru owners can learn more about the Fall Car Care Month inspections and find the nearest participating Subaru dealer at http://www.subaru.com/carcare.html.